You are currently viewing How to get Permanent Protection Visa (Australia)?
How to get Permanent Protection Visa in Australia?

How to get Permanent Protection Visa (Australia)?

Permanent Protection Visa Australia:

Protection visa is for people who arrived in Australia on a valid visa, and this visa is also for if you want to seek asylum. This visa lets you stay in Australia permanently. Only if you engage Australia’s protection obligations and meet all other requirements for the grant of the visa.

With the protection visa, you can live, work and study in Australia permanently, sponsor eligible family members for permanent residence through the offshore humanitarian program, travel to and from Australia for 5 years, if eligible become an Australian citizen, attend English language classes for free if you are eligible.

For protection, you must engage Australia’s protection obligations (or be a member of the same family unit as someone who does), have arrived legally in Australia on a valid visa, meet all other visa requirements, including health, character and, security etc. This is a permanent visa.

It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely, and you become an Australian permanent resident on the day we grant the visa, this is for Australian citizenship purposes.

Members of the same family unit may apply together on the same application, and for this family member to be in Australia at the time of application, he/she should be eligible to apply for this visa.

Members of the same family unit are spouses or de facto partners of the family head, dependent children of the family head’s partner, and other dependent relatives of the family head and the family head can be you.

A dependent child can be 18 years old or above if they are incapacitated for work due to loss of their bodily or mental functions or wholly or substantially reliant on their parent or step-parent for financial, or physical support and many more.

They do not consider a child or step-child of any age to be a dependent child if they are currently married, or engaged. Children who are not dependent children must apply on their own.

Other dependent relatives may include relatives such as the family head, parent, brother/sister, grandparent/grandchild, aunt/uncle, cousin, niece/nephew or step equivalent to any of the above.

They consider a relative a dependent relative of the family head if they do not have a spouse or de facto partner, who usually lives with the family head. Members of the same family unit applying for this visa must meet our health requirements.

If a child is born after you submit your application, the child will be taken to be included in that application, and you must tell us as soon as possible by completing Form 1022 notification of change of circumstances (172KB PDF), providing a clear colour copy of their original birth certificate, attaching them in an ImmiAccount or sending them by post to the address where you sent your application, and you will need to send a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate.

If a child is born in Australia, we automatically grant them the same visas their parents hold, and the child might be an Australian citizen by birth if either parent is an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident at the time of the child’s birth and you must be in Australia when you apply for the visa.

The processing process is quite complex. Your application can take longer to process if you do not fill in your application correctly, you do not include all the documents we need, we need more information from you, you do not respond to requests for information quickly, and it takes us time to verify your information. You and your family members must obey all Australian laws. You can travel to and from Australia for five years on the date we grant the visa.

If you want to travel outside Australia after we grant the visa, you should first contact an Australian passport office, and if they grant you this visa, you and members of your same family unit must not enter the country or countries, and they will only give you the approval to enter the country from which we granted you protection if there are compassionate or compelling circumstances.

If you enter the country from which we granted you protection without written approval, they might cancel your visa and the visas of members of your family unit.


Protection visa is for people who arrive in Australia, and for protection, you must engage in Australia’s protection obligations. Same family unit members may apply together. For protection, you must meet all the requirements, which include identity, security, health, and character requirements. You should apply for it whenever needed.

Check out our Web Story at

Join Now

Leave a Reply