PTE Zone: Reading Fill in the Blanks Samples and Sample Answers
In the text below some words are missing. Drag words from the box below to the appropriate place in the text. To undo an answer choice, drag the word back to the box below the text.
The country is a Commonwealth (1) _________ and is officially bilingual at the federal level. It ranks among the highest in (2)___________ measurements of government transparency, civil liberties, (3)__________ of life, economic freedom, and education. It is one of the world’s most ethnically diverse and multicultural nations, the product of large-scale immigration from many other (4)___________. Canada’s long and complex relationship with the United States has had a significant impact on its (5)__________ and culture.
country international empire quality realm social countries economy internationally
- The sentence mentions a country, the word immediately preceding the blank is an adjective ‘Commonwealth’ so the word in the blank should be a noun. The nouns among the options are: country, empire, quality, realm, countries, economy. As per the context, the suitable word is ‘realm’. The term commonwealth realm is a popular collocation.
- The word in the blank should be an ‘adjective’ collocating with the word ‘measurements’. The adjectives among the options are: international and social. As per the context, the suitable word is ‘international’.
- ‘Quality of life’ is a very popular collocation which also suits the context of the sentence.
- The word in the blank should be a noun. As the adjective used before the blank is ‘many’, it is also indicative that the answer should be a ‘plural noun’. The only suitable word from the options is ‘countries’.
- The sentence indicates that there has been some impact on Canada’s culture and the blank, this indicates that the word in the blank should be a noun related to a country. From the options, the suitable word is ‘economy’.